|Program Goals and Objectives
- Student success: Advance student success from recruitment
through graduation by engaging all members of the
- Increase the enrollment of both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Increase retention and graduation rates for all students. Identify and
implement high-impact practices for all students, with a special
focus on underrepresented populations.
- Develop and implement strategies to support the transition and
success of first-year and transfer students.
- Conduct a comprehensive review of all academic advising services
and implement intentional, coordinated strategies that reflect
national best practices in advising to increase student satisfaction
- Increase bicultural/bilingual support in the areas of admissions,
enrollment services, financial aid, student affairs, and academic
- Enhance the quality of service and communication to promote
student satisfaction in all areas of the University with a focus on
“points of entry,” such as admissions, financial services, enrollment
services, the website, and other critical areas.
- Academic excellence and innovation: Implement and support
curricular and pedagogical best practices aligned with
the mission of the institution, student needs, the
standards of the disciplines, and career and civic
- Develop a Statement of Objectives for the master’s degree and
explore adding the doctoral degree to the academic portfolio.
- Implement and assess the University Core Curriculum.
- Support, create, and sustain interdisciplinary courses and programs
that lead to higher levels of critical, analytical, and integrated learning.
- Focus on academic programs linked to regional economic
development and workforce demands for the global society.
- Support and create academic and professional development
opportunities for students through internships, international study,
research, service learning, and career services.
- Enhance and expand academic offerings and resources at CCICS.
- Integrate culturally relevant pedagogy and content throughout the
- Increase high-quality hybrid and online curricula throughout the
- Prioritize resource allocation to learning resource centers and support
- Urban leadership: Build upon Northeastern’s tradition of
community partnership and engagement by collaborating
with educational, social service, governmental,
philanthropic, and business organizations in Chicago and
- Collaborate with local and regional schools, community
organizations, and parents to vertically align knowledge, skills, and
dispositions across K-12 schooling to prepare students to
succeed at Northeastern or other postsecondary institutions.
- Position and promote Northeastern as a leading Hispanic Serving
Institution in the recruitment, retention, and graduation of Latino
- Increase Northeastern’s presence across diverse urban communities
through intentional marketing.
- Encourage and support programs that expand understandings of our
urban metropolis, with emphasis on our community partners.
- Encourage and support programs and research that focus on
contemporary urban issues, such as education reform, immigration,
economic development, and the environment.
- Enhance Northeastern’s marketing and public relations plan,
inclusive of community outreach, to expand internal, local, regional,
national, and international awareness of our urban leadership
- Promote CCICS, El Centro, and CCAS as examples of Northeastern’s
commitment to urban leadership.
- Exemplary faculty and staff: Invest in and support
faculty and staff to foster a nationally recognized urban
university and create a thriving work environment that
makes Northeastern an employer of choice.
- Intentionally recruit and retain faculty and staff who understand and
support Northeastern’s mission and the students we serve.
- Enhance scholarship, professional development, and training for
faculty and staff.
- Use support systems and programs to build and foster a culture of
mutual respect and collegiality across the University.
- Provide ongoing professional development to support culturally
relevant pedagogical approaches from new faculty orientation onward.
- Increase collaboration and accountability across all units of the
- Develop an effective application of shared governance at
- Enhanced University operations: Improve operating
efficiencies, physical and technological infrastructure
and systems, and environmental sustainability to
provide a supportive learning, teaching, and working
- Ensure that all classroom, laboratory, office, student, and support
spaces accommodate current needs and long-term growth.
- Add a residential life component consistent with the mission of the
- Invest in and implement technology applications and infrastructure to
maximize academic and operational goals.
- Establish environmental sustainability as a key element of
Northeastern’s identity through green design and activities such as
increasing recycling, reducing waste, conserving energy, and
- Streamline and redesign operational and financial workflows and
processes to improve service quality and productivity.
- Ensure the continued safety and security of the University; that all
facilities and infrastructure, including technology and critical data,
are protected; and that campus security and emergency
preparedness are continually monitored and enhanced.
- Fiscal strength: Enhance Northeastern’s financial
position by diversifying revenue sources and by
strengthening institutional relationships with donors,
public and private entities, and alumni.
- Increase external funding, including grants, that supports
programming critical to Northeastern’s mission.
- Strategically plan for future Title V and other Minority Serving
Institution grant applications using data and outcome analyses from
- Increase advocacy efforts with federal and state governments to
secure appropriations for the University.
- Increase private, corporate, foundation, and other philanthropic
support for the University.
- Generate revenue by leveraging Northeastern’s assets (such as
space rentals, fees for services, and continuing education
programs) while continuing to prioritize University need.